IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Monday, May 29, 2006

Happy Birthday!

Happy First Birthday, Darling!

I just wanted to congratulate you on reaching this important milestone, and to say thank you for all of the wonderful things you have done for your mother & I in the past year. It has really been a pleasure for us, every day, to get to know you and just hang out with you. You are a very cool young lady.

One of the best things about you is that you are almost always happy, from the moment you get up in the morning until you go to sleep at night. It is hard not to be happy when we are around you. And you have been like this since you were about 4 months old, too - which is pretty amazing. Even as a little tiny baby, we'd hear you waking up in your room, and when we went to check on you, you'd have this great big smile on your face - as if you'd been laughing at your own private little joke before we came into the room. I'll never forget the first time you actually laughed: you were very small, and I was changing you on the dining room table. We were listening to music, and I played with your feet to make it look like you were dancing, and you started laughing your little head off. It was the best sound I'd ever heard in my life (and it still is, by the way).

Sure, you have your moments - you are still just a baby after all - but it hasn't been very difficult at all, really. There are a few times when you cry so much that nothing we can do helps, and that makes us feel useless and sad for you. But those times are getting more and more rare. And those times when you wake up in the middle of the night crying, and I pick you up, and you give me a fierce hug and nuzzle into my chest and fall back asleep in my arms...it gives me an incredible sense of accomplishment. I love being able to help you.

And you are so smart! You have been using sign language to your mother & I for months now ("milk", and "hungry", and "finished" and probably a dozen other things that we can't understand yet - we don't really know sign language!), and you can say "yeah", and "no", and "mama" and "dada"....and oh my God, child - are you loud. They call you "foghorn" at daycare, you know. A few weeks ago, your mother & I got a letter from the city council; one of our neighbors complained about the rooster that was waking up the whole neighborhood at 5 o'clock every morning. I explained that it was just you...

Just in the last few days, you've been standing up on your own two feet - and you get such a proud look on your face! You look up at us as if to say "Look what I just did!!!", and you do your little twisting dance. In a few days or weeks you will be taking your first steps on your own. You are changing so much, so quickly. But in a way, to me, you haven't really changed very much at all. Especially when you are asleep in my arms - you have such a beautiful, angelic, happy look on your cute little face; you look almost exactly the way you did when I first held you in my arms just a moment after you were born, one year ago today.

Love Always,
Daddy

3 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Angry Dad said...

Happy Birthday Yo Yo, from Sunny Hot and Humid Florida!
And congratulations to the proud parents too!!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

Happy Birthday, Yo Yo! And props to Dad for a wonderfully writen leter.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Very cute. Both your gorgeous baby, and the post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home