IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Monday, May 01, 2006

You just messed with the wrong little girl....

So how much prison time would a forty-something-year old get for beating the crap out of a 6 year old, anyway?
Twice in the past few days, we've narrowly averted big trouble down at the old sand box in the park across the road. Our 11-month-old daughter loves to crawl around in (and eat) sand, so she is delightfully in her element - minding her own business, running her fingers through the little mounds of sand and making little cooing noises, when a gang of young toughs, ranging in age from 4 - 6 (I guess), swagger up looking for trouble. I knew they were bad news right away - they just had that look in their eyes, you know?
Unfortunately, Yoyo is the most trusting baby in the world, and she doesn't recognise that sort of look. She thought the boys wanted to play (she thinks everyone wants to play, all the time). So she looks up with a huge happy grin on her face to the boy nearest to her, and before I could jump up and run over to her rescue, the little prick throws two fistfuls of sand in my baby's face. He saw me barrelling over, and he recognised the look on my face right away - and took off like a scared rabbit.
Poor Yoyo didn't cry or anything - she just looked surprised that she suddenly had a mouthful of sand that she hadn't put there herself, and she seemed disappointed that the older kids didn't stick around to play with her.
The next day, we were in the sandpit again, and a different little mob of very-juvenile delinquents turned up, and I picked her up before anything bad went down (but they had that same evil look about them). Now I realise that kids will be kids, and little boys play differently than little girls, and that daddy won't always be there to bail her out of trouble....but I really, really wanted to smack that little bastard...

6 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger Chocolate makes it better said...

none....just run away like that little bastard did and no-one will ever know!

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Angry Dad said...

What a little shit. I would have done the "Grab and Point Finger" but even that can get you into trouble these days.
I've also done the "Take me to your parents" but that backfires if they're numptys.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous irreverentmama said...

"Kids will be kids" - sure they will, if they came straight out of Lord of the Flies.

Boys DO play differently than little girls, BUT (says the mother of one boy, stepmother to two others, and daycare provider to seven more at the moment) any six-year-old child, boy or girl, knows that throwing sand in someone's face, particularly a baby's, is NOT "playing".

He was just being a little shit, and he knew it.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Kristen said...

I hate playground bullies. My husband thinks I hover too much over my kids (they aren't babies anymore), but I refuse to be all the way across the park on a bench when some brat shoves them or trips them.

That's not playing; it's unacceptable behavior and they know it, which is why they run away. Perhaps if THEIR parents were hovering, it wouldn't have happened.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

I SOOOOOOOOO feel your pain. I wrote a post about one of the most gut wrenching experiences in my parenting life. When someone hurts my kids, a reaction dating back at least to 16th century Scotland (and probably back to the days of rubbing sticks together in the cave outside the gate of Eden) kicks in.

Sounds like you are a great dad. I never understood when my dad tried to explain that feeling to me until I became a dad. No stories like your make me feel ill with empathetic emotions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home