IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Friday, June 16, 2006

Father's Day is a State of Mind

Posted by Picasa Father's Day in Australia isn't until the 3rd of September this year (in Australia, September = Springtime, for all of you northern hemisperions), but I just want to be involved in all of Kara's bloggects...I'm afraid if I stop putting my hand up, I'll stop being invited.

Like any slow kid with a homework assignment, I've had to think long and hard about how I wanted to address the topic of Fatherhood. My own Dad was sort of an asshole, and I haven't had a lot of really positive male role models in my life. So I thought to myself "who do I know who's a good Dad?". And the answer surprised even me: Me!

OK, granted - it's early days; Yoyo has only been with us for just over a year, and I'm still learning the ropes. I realise I still have plenty of time to stuff it up & ruin her life, or at least give her something to complain to a therapist about someday. But so far/ so good. It has been such an amazing time for both of us, and I just love it. Being a Dad is slowly changing me, sometimes subtly, sometimes dramatically. I am definitely becoming a different (and hopefully better) person through my relationship with my daughter.

From the time she gets us up demanding food at 5am until I put her to bed at 7:30 at night (and she goes to bed so sweetly after I hold her in my arms for a few minutes), I can hardly think of anything else. I got up and walked out of a meeting the other day, because it was 5pm, and time to go and pick up my baby and her Mum, and nobody at work questioned it (and I wouldn't have cared if they did). This weekend, we'll go to the park across the street, and I will play in the sandpit, and wrestle with her on the grass, and blow bubbles, and read her the same book a dozen times, and make a big mess feeding her, and then clean it up, and change nappies, and give her a bath, and like every weekend for the last year - it will be the best weekend of my whole life.

I was a bit scared and nervous about what kind of father I'd be - especially because my own wasn't particularly great, and I had nothing to measure it against. But now that I've turned into a Happy Idiot, with a really simple set of priorities, I know that I needn't have worried. I'm a good Dad. It is so great to say that.

4 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Kara said...

remind me to wish you Happy Father's Day in 10 weeks or so.

YOu should host a bloggect for some Aussie holiday and invite a bunch of Americans so we know how you feel.

great post, btw.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Granny said...

I've been working my way through Kara's list and you're not the first who didn't have the greatest role model.

All of you have turned into great dads.

I may not remember to come back in September so Happy Father's Day now.

Ann
rocrebelgranny

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Kristen said...

I love the idea of just keeping it simple. And this stage that Yoyo is in a wonderful age - sounds like you're enjoying it to the fullest. Happy Father's Day!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger bubandpie said...

I just clicked over here from Cape Buffalo, where I read your fabulous synopsis of your novel (cross-generational bee-keeping saga...). So funny - I want a copy. And I love this post - you really captured the everyday wonderfulness of parenting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home