IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

My Inner Nerd gets a Metaphorical Wedgie

I've been taking an astronomy class at the local observatory for the past several weeks. I know, nerd stuff...but it has been pretty fun, and there are worse things I could be doing with my time.
I enjoy being able to look up in the sky at night and know the names of some of the stars, and to be able to pick out the planets, and to have a greater appreciation for how enormous the universe is, and how seemingly insignificant our little planet is in the vastness of the cosmos (plus, I love talking like Carl Sagan...).

The last class was Saturday. We were finally going to get to look through the huge telescopes - the culmination of the whole class. It was a fine, clear day, and I was sure it was going to be great viewing. And so, of course, at about 1:30 in the afternoon, work calls: big disaster - get in. I worked well into the night, and missed the class. Damn.

2 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger Odd Mix said...

That just SUCKS!

Call the teacher, see if you can get into a "make up" session. Maybe even the next time they teach the course.

Ahhhhhhh! My inner geek is weeping with your inner nerd.

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous MetroDad said...

I've always wanted to take an astronomy class also but never got around to it. Instead, I rely on Starrynight software. Have you tried it? Preetty cool.

And don't tell anyone but whenever there's a cool astronomical occurence, my wife and I buy a $500 telescope from Orion to observe the phenomenon. Afterwards, we return it back to the store for a full refund.

Just one more reason I'm going to Hell. (Ok, we've only done this twice but I stil feel guilty about it.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home