IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

...and then I go and spoil it all, by saying something stupid like...

I am a firm believer in telling people that I love them (hence the name of my blog). I think this comes from a long history of tragedy in my life - like suddenly losing family members and friends - and also from a lot of times when I would have really benefitted from someone letting me know that they loved me; that I was important to them. In order to "be the change I want to see in the world", I think that by letting other people know that I appreciate them, care for them, and yes, love them, I am in my own little way adding some value to the world.

This freaks a lot of people out. I have a running joke with a really dear friend; the first time I told her that I loved her (in an e-mail, when she was feeling down), she sent a note back saying "um...you mean, as a friend, right?". I tease her about that now - I mean, if someone tells you that they love you, why is our tendency to immediately question their motives? To think them weird?

It's not as though there is way too much love in our lives, and we really couldn't possibly deal with one more person admiring, respecting, and caring for us. What a bother!

My good friends are used to hearing that from me now, and they know I mean it. I'm not religious, or a hippy, or a weirdo (at least, I don't think I am). If anything, I'm probably afraid because we aren't here for a long time, and I would hate to think I haven't contributed much to the world in my brief time here. I don't think I'm ever going to compose a symphony, or start painting masterpieces, or architect skyscrapers or build monuments. But I am generally full of love for other people, so I feel compelled to share that.

I don't walk down the street just telling people I love them. I don't walk around hugging strangers, or accosting people on the bus, or blurting out my undying affection for the folks I work with at staff meetings, for example. But if we get to be mates, and spend some time getting to know each other, and you become important to me somehow - chances are I'm going to tell you how I feel.

I think the love I give to other people generally comes back to me threefold, so I'm unlikely to stop this behavior - it's working for me.

Is that crazy? Probably, huh? Oh well - it's just who I am, and how I feel. I genuinely love people*. There - I've said it and I'm proud.


* - as a friend :)

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger Kara said...

LOVE this!! can this be my manifesto, too?

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Angry Dad said...

Cool Man! Glad to see your truly in touch with yourself. Great philosphy to have!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home