IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Monday, July 17, 2006

Could I finally be growing up?

I got to spend the weekend on my own in Sydney. Most of the old friends I used to have from back in the day still live there, while we've moved a thousand kilometers away. None of my old gang have kids, and it's nice to get down there a couple of times a year and pretend I have no responsibilities and can stay up past 10pm. It's usually a blur of hanging out with the boys, catching up with a lot of old friends, drinking at mid-day, smoking cigars, gambling - you know, that sort of thing.

I met up with the guys on Friday at lunch time, and we got stuck into the beers straight away. We headed to The Rocks, and drank, talked shit, and bet on horses all afternoon. It was one of those days that go by in a happy fog of alcohol & laughter....

Saturday was just as much fun: we cooked a great meal about mid-afternoon, and met "the gang" at a pub, and talked and laughed, and went to another pub and met up with even more friends, and ended up at a very cool club until the wee hours.

About a dozen of us were walking back to my mates' house at about 4am, through the tourist area of Darling Harbour (right in the heart of the city), when we came across an area marked off by police tape. A big square was taped off, creating a sad little scene: pools of blood on the rain-wet bricks of the Piermont Bridge, and a collection of bloody towels where someone had obviously fallen and received some help. Whoever was hurt had been whisked away already, and there were just a few police officers and a photographer left at the scene. Our little band of merry partiers sobered up pretty quickly and continued quietly on our way.

I couldn't wait to get back home to my own warm bed, my lovely wife, our beautiful little girl, and my 10pm bedtimes.

2 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous MetroDad said...

Nothing beats hanging out and having some quality time with old friends...except coming home to the family!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Chocolate makes it better said...

I think you had, quite possibly, the boysiest weekend you could have.

Well done!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home