IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Monday, October 09, 2006

Another Bride, Another Groom....


I've been a little nervous, because one of my best mates is getting married in a few weeks, and he's asked me to emcee his reception.

I'm not particularly afraid of getting up in front of a crowd (I am a recovering karaoke junkie), and I think I am a capable public speaker - but I haven't written a lot for the wedding yet, and I've been debating what approach to take...should I take a minimilist tone, and just welcome people, introduce the bride & groom and their parents, introduce the people who wish to make a little speech, and get out of there?

Do I write up a couple of jokes, and maybe a comedy routine, and try to keep the crowd entertained between courses? Shall I make a deeply meaningful speech, professing my abiding love and respect for the happy couple? Do I pull out all the stops and turn on my Mr Vegas persona - belt out a couple of tunes and keep up a stream of witty banter, inside jokes, and sly innuendo a la Dean Martin circa 1965?

My friends want me to make sure that there are no unexpected drunken speeches or embarassing photo presentations, and I know they are counting on me to keep it rolling along, and reasonably sophisticated and professional. I have enough confidence in myself that I can pull it off, and above all I realise that this is their wedding, and that it's all about them - but at the same time I'd like to make sure that it's pleasantly memorable and entertaining.

Suggestions most welcome :)

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate you totally have to get really drunk like Mr Pink in The Wedding Singer.

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know he's only Mr pink in resivour dogs......but i can't remember his name ok!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger IFLYG said...

LOL - I think I should definitely rent "The Wedding Singer" to prepare for the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home