IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

It's Just That Easy!!!

When I was a pup, ages ago, I used to - now & then - get busted for doing stupid shit.

We'd steal beer from Jewel.
We'd get high in the park.
We'd "borrow" the neighbor's bike.
We'd, um, do strange and wonderful things with the Polish girl from down the block.

I was a complete pussy. I had this sense of right and wrong - instilled by countless beatings, a painful Catholic School upbringing, and a conscience.

I'd say "Yeah, Dad. It was me".

Grounded. Slapped. No allowance. "Double Secret Probation". No TV priveledges. You name it - I copped it.

But I always sort of held my head up high - because I thought it was, I dunno, noble to own up for my actions and take what was coming to me. Do the crime - do the time.

It was such a simpler age.

In a lot of ways, I feel proud of myself for that stuff.

I wonder what it's like to grow up in the US today. I can't imagine myself telling my Dad (after beating the crap out of the kid down the block) "I take full responsibility for that". Or, for stealing a bar of candy from our local store, "I admit - some mistakes were made".

Apparently - everyone thinks it's ok.

Kids today - huh?

1 Comments:

At 9:02 PM, Blogger Steph said...

That was noble and good for you.
Myself, I always blamed my sister. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home