IFLYG

I Fuckin' Love You Guys....

Monday, June 11, 2007

Egg on face

So embarrassing. We went to a bbq at some friends' house, and one of my friends asks "what's the meaning of the word plebs? or plebes? and is it 'pleeb' or 'pleb', or 'pleebeh'".

I very confidently told her that the word had it's root in the ancient Greek "plebian", and it means "the common people".

We had a nice little chat about it - how you'll know a word, and know what it means, and see it from time to time in books and magazines and such, but you've never actually said it out loud before, and the first time you do, you mis-pronounce it, and the person you happen to be chatting with just happens to know the word, and immediately corrects your mis-pronounciation, and you feel like a bit of a jackass for a second.

Well that was my friend - and I made her feel like a dork, and I felt really bad, because she's a great mate. She was very gracious, and we had a good laugh, and as we stood there, she pulled up the word on dictionary.com and read the definition out loud.

I knew it meant "the common people", but it is from the Latin; it's Roman. 30 seconds earlier, I had lectured everyone in earshot about the Ancient Greeks, their system of government, and blah blah blah.

Lessons learned:
1. I know some things about stuff, and I can speak with great authority, very convincingly, when I know that I am absolutely correct.
2. I am full of shit.
3. I am a nerd.

Okay, #3 wasn't so much a lesson learned as a lesson remembered, but you get the point.

1 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Haaaaaaaaa! You got 0wned! Sounds like something that would happen to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home